3.08.2011

lit nerd


The other day I had to annotate a monologue from Shakespeare's The Tempest, and it was quite possibly the angriest I had ever been. Why on earth am I supposed to care what word Shakespeare used at this particular time and why he did it? He didn't write it so that half a century later college students would curse his name. He wrote it to make our hearts feel something. I don't care what the authors of anything actually meant, how it applied to society in their specific time of living. Isn't it the dream of a true artist to have their audience relate to what they did? I shouldn't have to focus in on one word in one passage and focus on what that means. I should be focusing on the beauty of the entire work, and how it's still applicable in my own time.

No comments:

Post a Comment