12.12.2012

on your porch - the format


something that breaks my heart during the christmas/holiday season is when people complain about going home and having to "deal" with their families. my family was far from perfect, and we still don't come anywhere near functional. but looking back at my freshman year of college, the only year i came home from college before dad got sick, i am beyond grateful that i did not dread but rather so looked forward to coming home to spend time with my family. as wildly dysfunctional as we are, i am assured with all of my being that my family loves me and i love them right back. we're a group that recognizes how messed up we are and we can laugh about our imperfections. absolutely we had screaming matches where one member of the family would leave the house to take a drive and you didn't know when they would come back - but the point is they came back and all was forgiven. but these days i don't get to come home and spend time with my dad for thanksgiving, my birthday, or christmas. and yet people grumble about having to spend time with their families. people have no clue how lucky they are that their family is going to be all together this season. but despite the fact that i don't have the pleasure of having my daddy here for a third christmas, i am beyond blessed by the people that are still here and i will cherish every single moment that i have with each person because you never know when it could be the last time you see them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey u! Miss u and think of u often. Praying that u feel Him near. Life is sometimes so hard. But we have hope like nowhere else. Blessings, Dawn Parker
    PS - - tell the fam HI!

    ReplyDelete