2.25.2010

battered v loved


I was talking to a friend the other day about pride in possessions. I'm pestering him, almost daily, to read The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. I told him that he could borrow my copy if he wanted to. Then we both kind of stopped and he said that no, he would buy his own. He likes having his own copy of everything and have it on display. And immediately when I offered to borrow him my book, I thought that I wouldn't like to do that. I love my books. I underline quotes, make notes referencing other parts of the book to indicate foreshadowing, and write my opinions in the margins. I cannot wait till I have a library where the walls are filled with books,that have been obviously read several times. A book that looks brand new doesn't make me happy. It makes me feel like that book hasn't been touched once. A book that's been read several times may look as though its been battered to other people, but I think that it looks loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment